wvu tech score

The West Virginia volleyball team moved to 16-11 on the season after a win against Texas Tech, 3-2, in a five set thriller.

The teams started off tied at six during the beginning of the first set.  After the Red Raiders claimed a slight lead, a kill by Erin Slinde brought the Mountaineers within two, 12-10.  Three back-to-back West Virginia attack errors helped Texas Tech maintain their lead, up 19-14 near the end of the first set.  Another WVU attack error brought up set point for the Red Raiders, and while a Mia Swanegan kill extended the set, Texas Tech came back with a kill to take the first set 25-18.

TTU scored three of the first four points at the opening of the second set, but it wasn’t long before a Payton Caffrey kill and a Red Raider attack error tied the set at three.  A Texas Tech error gave West Virginia a slight lead, 10-9.  Kills by Katelyn Evans and Morgan Montgomery followed by a TTU attack error extended the WVU lead to 16-13.  The Red Raiders weren’t done yet, however, and they ended up firing back to tie the score at 19.  A Caffrey kill gave West Virginia a 23-21 lead, but Texas Tech went back to score four straight and take the second set 25-23.

Heading into the third set, West Virginia had one more chance to win, or the match would be over.  WVU started off ahead 2-0, but TTU scored three straight to take a slight 3-2 lead.  West Virginia then scored five out of the next seven to reclaim the lead, 5-7.  The teams tied at 11, and then the Mountaineers took off on the 5-0 run for the 16-11 lead.  TTU wasn’t finished yet, however, and brought themselves back within two, with West Virginia clinging to a slight 21-19 lead.  A kill by Caffrey brought up set point, and Montgomery put the set away 25-21 with a kill.

WVU went into the fourth set up 6-4, then scored three straight for the 9-5 lead.  A kill by Brianna Lynch and two consecutive TTU errors gave West Virginia a five point lead, 14-9.  Caffrey rattled off two straight kills and another Texas Tech error put WVU ahead 20-14.  A Katelyn Evans kill brought up set point, and a Red Raider error gave WVU the 25-17 set win and tied the match.

After being down 0-2 after the second set and firing back to win the next two, West Virginia was getting a chance to beat Texas Tech in the final set.  TTU claimed an early 4-3 lead, but WVU answered.  The Mountaineers scored five straight to take the 8-4 lead.  Texas Tech went on a 5-0 run of their own to lead 9-8.  West Virginia then went on a 4-0 run for the 12-9 lead, just three points away from a victory.  A Texas Tech attack error brought up set point, and the Red Raiders scored one more before Caffrey recorded her final kill of the match for the 15-11 win.

This win over Texas Tech takes West Virginia to 4-9 in the Big 12, the teams having identical conference records before the match up.  

Looking forward, West Virginia will have over a week to prepare for Baylor coming to Morgantown on Sunday, Nov. 19.  The match against the Bears will tip at 1 p.m.