wvu baylor score

The West Virginia University lacrosse team opened up their regular season with an 18-12 win over Baylor in the inaugural Big 12 Classic.

The Mountaineers (1-0) were led by midfielder Paul Beljan, who scored six goals of eight shots. Senior midfielder Jon Welsh scored three goals off of four shots and added three assists.

Sophomore goalie Nick Raynor had 13 saves.

Baylor (4-2) scored the opening goal, but West Virginia answered by dominating the second half en route to a 13-3 halftime lead.

The Bears made a comeback in the second half, cutting the deficit as close as 16-12 in the fourth quarter, but late goals by sophomore attackman Jac Gemmil and Brian Drennan sealed the deal for the Mountaineers.

West Virginia continues the Big 12 Classic by playing Texas Tech on Saturday at 4 p.m.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.