In a battle of top-25 teams on Tuesday night at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium, the No. 25 West Virginia Mountaineers and No. 12 Charlotte 49ers men’s soccer teams weren’t able to muster up a single goal the entire night, ending in a 0-0 draw. 

“I think, at the end of the day, we just weren’t good enough in the final third, plain and simple,” WVU head coach Marlon LeBlanc said. “We had chances, whether it be a free kick which misses the target, or balls that skirt through the six-yard area.”

Both teams only combined for a lowly five shots in the opening period as the Mountaineers contributed a pair of shots from Luke McCormick and Andres Muriel Albino. The first West Virginia shot came in the 26th minute off the foot of McCormick, soaring high above the crossbar. 

Charlotte (3-0-1) committed a total of nine fouls in an aggressively fought opening period of action as the 49ers were able to keep the ball out of the box the majority of the first half.

“They’re a defensive team,” LeBlanc said. “Look at their record in terms of goals they concede. They don’t concede very many goals because they put a lot of men behind the ball.”

West Virginia (2-1-1) came out firing in the second period, getting off three shots through the opening 12 minutes.

Following a hot few opening minutes of the period, West Virginia was able to total nine shots in the second period, including four off the foot of Tsubasa Takada. 

Later, after a 49ers goal was called back due to an offside penalty, Mountaineers goalkeeper Steven Tekesky came up with a pair of saves off the foot of Charlotte’s Preston Popp and a corner kick from Teddy Cahouche. 

“That’s what you need him to do in those moments,” LeBlanc said. “He really wasn’t under much pressure most of the night until that moment and I think we’re pleased to get a shutout.”

The Mountaineers then followed Tekesky’s pair of saves with a few near miss goals from Takada, which sailed wide, before Albert Andres-Llop nailed the post and Sebastian Garcia-Herreros sent a sky rocket over the goal. 

Overtime was a similar story for both sides as neither team was able to find the back of the net as West Virginia got off five shots as opposed to Charlotte’s two shots. 

The Mountaineers will host another top-25 team on Friday when No. 15 Coastal Carolina strolls into Morgantown. That matchup will kickoff at 7 p.m.