Days removed from a loss to St. John’s, the West Virginia men’s basketball team seems to have solved the issues that plagued it.

Cutting down on turnovers and missed shots, the Mountaineers picked up an 84-53 win over Austin Peay Thursday, placing them back in the win column.

“Coach was telling us that we gotta continue to come out and be ready to play from the beginning of the game,” guard Jermaine Haley said. “It starts in warmup and I think we did a better job tonight.”

The Mountaineers took the lead in the opening minutes of the game and didn’t look back. Entering halftime with a 38-21 lead, WVU held a double digit lead for the final 25 minutes of the game.

West Virginia (8-1) was led by forward Emmitt Matthews Jr., the team’s leader in points. The forward ended the day with 16 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field. 

Also a factor for the Mountaineers was forward Oscar Tshiebwe. After going 3-of-7 from the field against St. John’s, Tshiebwe went on to finish second on the team in scoring against the Governors, finishing with 14 points.

For Austin Peay (4-5), forward Terry Turner led the way as the junior ended the night with 19 points on 9-of-17 shooting. Turner and guard Antwuan Butler (14 points) were the lone offensive bright spots for the Governors as the team struggled to shoot from the field, making only 35%.

From the three point line, Austin Peay only scored once in 14 attempts, good for 7%. Led by Matthews, the Mountaineers shot 51% from beyond the arc. 

Ending the night with a mere three assists, West Virginia tripled the stat. Gabe Osabuohien (five), Derek Culver (three) and Haley (three) led the team to 21 total assists.

West Virginia will host Nicholls on Saturday at the WVU Coliseum. The opening tipoff will come at 2 p.m. and will be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.