Rachel hornung

Feb. 17, 2019: Rachel Hornung participating on the high beam during WVU's meet with Utah State, Pitt and Cornell.

The West Virginia gymnastics team fell to second place in the Heart Health Meet held at the Coliseum in Morgantown on Sunday.

West Virginia (13-5) finished second behind Utah State’s 196.075 score with a team score of 195.575. Pitt came in third with a team score of 195.025, followed by Cornell with 193.075.

The Mountaineers went home with several career-highs this afternoon, with junior Abby Kaufman taking three of them and finishing second all-around with a score of 39.225.

“I wasn’t going in with the mindset, ‘Oh, I need to conquer this, I need to get that career-high,’ Kaufman said. “I was just doing my gymnastics, going with the flow, thinking of technique, and it just kinda happened. All the hard work I’ve been trying to put into the gym just got me to where I am today.”

West Virginia started the meet on vault. Senior Kirah Koshinski led the Mountaineers with a score of 9.825. Kaufman followed behind her with a career-high of 9.8, along with freshman Rachel Hornung’s 9.8.

Sophomore Michelle Waldron earned a score of 9.775 on vault. While senior Jaquie Tun earned a 9.725, behind her was junior Julia Merwin with a score of 9.625. The Mountaineers ended their first event, vault, with a team score of 48.925.

The team kept their energy going during their second event on bars. Tun earned the highest score for the Mountaineers and the event overall with a season-high of 9.875. Freshman Esperanza Abarca started it off for West Virginia, earning a career-high 9.825. Up next was freshman Kendra Combs, earning another career-high with 9.85.

Kaufman earned her second career-high of the night with 9.85. Sophomore Sydney Marler earned a 9.7, along with Merwin with the 9.775.

The Mountaineers ended bars with a team score of 49.175, leaving them in the lead with a total score of 98.1.

Unfortunately, WVU struggled when it came to beam. Earning only one career-high for freshman Taylor Sell, with a score of 9.65. Sophomore McKenna Linnen and Abarca led the Mountaineers with a score of 9.75 each.

Following behind them was Kaufman with a 9.7. A fall from Hornung earned her a score of 9.1. Junior Erica Fontaine, with another fall, gave her a score of 9.125. 

West Virginia was then pushed down to third place after the third rotation with a team score of 146.075.

The Mountaineers were able to make an outstanding comeback after beam, earning their fifth-best floor score in program history.

Linnen started the final rotation off earning a career-high of 9.875. Following was Kaufman with her third career-high of the day, with 9.875. The Mountaineers earned three consecutive career-highs when Fontaine scored her career-high of 9.85.

Koshinski capped it off with a career-high and top score for the Mountaineers, earning a 9.975. Hornung earned a score of 9.825. Tun took another career-high, for the second consecutive week with 9.925.

West Virginia finished with a score of 195.575, enough to beat rival Pitt and Cornell, but not enough to defeat Utah State who finished with 196.075.

The Mountaineers will travel to the University of Pittsburgh to compete against Pitt and Ball State this Friday at 7 p.m.