erin slinde mia swanegan

Sept. 12, 2017; Erin Slinde and Mia Swanegan during a break in the action at Marshall

After finishing the regular season with their best record in four years, the WVU volleyball team received an invitation to play in the reincarnated National Invitational Volleyball Championship.

The Mountineers (18-12) will host the University of Maryland Eastern Shore on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum in the first round of the NIVC. The game will be the second of a doubleheader, the other being Temple and Campbell.

The game winners of the doubleheader will play in the second round in the Coliseum on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

The NIVC is the volleyball equivalent of basketball's National Invitation Tournament, which is a 32-team tournament comprised of schools that were not selected to play in the NCAA Tournament. The original NIVC was introduced in 1989 and lasted until 1995.

Plans to reintroduce the tournament were announced at the American Volleyball Coaches' Association convention in December 2016.

The NIVC is the first non-conference postseason tournament West Virginia has played in since 1991 and the second-ever in school history.

WVU is one of three Big 12 schools to be invited, the others being TCU and Texas Tech.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).