Brian Dickman sets up for the face-off against RMU.

Oct. 8, 2018: Brian Dickman sets up for the face-off against RMU.

After a an impressive double header win against the Temple Owls, the West Virginia University Mountaineers couldn’t keep up the momentum going against the Robert Morris University Colonials.

The Mountaineers looked lost in what was a 6-1 swamping.

It started in the first period with 16:39 to go when Steven Ralston kick-started the blowout and gave the Colonials a 1-0 lead, a lead in which they would never let go of all night.

Less than a minute later, David Roebuck doubled the Colonials lead, and the pressure seemed to already be mounting for the Mountaineers. Then, a full minute and 42 seconds pass when Antoni Chirgott raised the score to 3-0, and the blowout continued.

After trying to get out of the first period with only three goals, the Mountaineer defense faltered with 24 seconds to go, and the Colonials capitalize with a goal by Andrew Hachmeister to make it a whooping 4-0 game in only the first period of play.

In the second, West Virginia showed the little breath of life they had when Ryan Zujkowski scored the Mountaineers only goal of the game with 14 minutes left in the second, ensuring WVU did not have to endure an embarrassing shut out.

However, that would be the only sign of life for the Mountaineers’ offense and the Colonial’s showed they still had something left in the tank and with 10:42, Nathan Mickey scored to strengthen the lead with a 5-1 deficit.

The Mountaineers strengthen up on defense for the remaining time left, but they could not use their single goal to kick-start any type of a comeback.

Entering the third period, WVU had 20 minutes to try and close the gap, but were unable to. With 13:04 remaining, Steven Ralston scored to give the Colonials a staggering 6-1 lead, effectively ending any chance of a Mountaineer comeback.

In what was a brutal defeat, West Virginia has no time to be in despair as they quickly have a matchup with James Madison in what hopes to be a rebound game and to help get the Mountaineers back on track.