The West Virginia rifle team prevailed for the victory on Saturday after shooting for a total of 4,719 points. 

Akron finished the day shooting a total 4,672 points which was followed by NC State’s 4,631 points. 

The Mountaineers (5-0) came out on the winning side in both the smallbore and air rifle portions of the day, finishing with 2,341 points in the smallbore and 2,378 points in air rifle. 

Morgan Phillips dominated the smallbore portion of the day after shooting 588. She was followed by Malori Brown’s 587 and Sarah Osborn’s 586.

While West Virginia had seven shooters finish in the top ten in smallbore, a trio of Akron shooters finished in the top ten. NC State didn’t have any shooters place in the top ten for smallbore.  

The air rifle portion of the day saw a trio of Mountaineers round out the top three with identical scores as Osborn, David Koenders and Milica Babic each shot 596. 

Kera Kaufman and Wyatt Openshaw were the only pair of Akron shooters to reach the leaderboard in air rifle after shooting 591 points apiece. NC State didn’t have any shooters finish in the top ten in air rifle. 

WVU’s Sarah Osborn led all shooters on the day with 1,181 total points, which was followed by Akihito Shimizu’s 1,180 and David Koenders’ 1,178 to round out the top three.

Akron had only a pair of shooters reach the top ten scoring leaderboard as Andrew Gross totaled 1,170 points while Openshaw shot a 1,168.

The Mountaineers will now host No. 7 NC State on Sunday morning at 8 a.m.