Feb. 2, 2020. Kat Lyman prepares to return a shot during her match against Toledo (2).

The West Virginia tennis team started the weekend off on the right foot with a 6-0 sweep over the Seton Hall Pirates on Saturday.

The Mountaineers began the morning winning the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches. The pair of Anne-Sophie Courteau and Kat Lyman won the No. 1 seed doubles, 6-3, and Sofia Duran and Christina Jordan won 6-2 as the No. 2 seed doubles. 

In singles play, Anastasiia Bovolskaia earned her third singles victory of the season with a 2-0 defeat as the No. 1 seed. As the No. 2 seed, Giovanna Caputo lost the first set, 6-2, but bounced back nicely winning the final two to secure the victory, 2-1. 

Nicole Roc earned another victory for WVU as the three seed with a two-set defeat against Aina Plana Ventosa. Sofia Duran and Christina Jordan wrapped up the morning with each winning in two sets to secure the 6-0 win for the Mountaineers. 

The No. 6 seed match was not played. 

Head coach Miha Lisac believed today’s match was a good test for his team in preparation for Sunday’s match against Akron. 

“It was a good day of competition today in preparation for tomorrow’s matches,” Lisac said. “We are looking to continue to get better tomorrow against Akron.”

West Virginia (5-0) remains in Ohio with another match scheduled against Akron on Sunday. The match will begin at 10 a.m.