wvu msu score

In defensive fashion, the WVU men's soccer team upset the sixth-ranked Michigan State Spartans, 1-0, on Wednesday night.

The Mountaineers (7-3-3) took care of business on the back end, holding Michigan State to only two shots-on-goal off of 10 attempts.

"Tonight, we played against a team that was, toe-for-toe, just as good as we were, and in a lot of places maybe even better," said WVU head coach Marlon LeBlanc. "I thought we were excellent, our gameplan was really good, I thought our guys executed it."

The lone score in the game game in the 51st minute by Albert Andres-Llop off an assist by Jorge Quintanilla. The goal gives Andres-Llop his team-leading 12th point of the season.

The win over the Spartans (9-2-2), who are ranked No. 1 in NCAA's RPI, is West Virginia's first win over a top 10 opponent in Morgantown since 2011, when WVU beat top-ranked Connecticut.

The Mountaineers return to action on Saturday as they resume Mid-American Conference play at Bowling Green. The Falcons are 6-6 on the season and lead the series against WVU 6-3-1.

Former Sports Editor

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).