The West Virginia men’s basketball team will head back to the states with some hardware after a 75-63 victory over the Wichita State Shockers on Wednesday night.

The Mountaineers (6-0) are coming off a tough come from behind victory after trailing by 15 to Northern Iowa the night before.

WVU got off to a better start in this game, going up 27-19 before Wichita State (6-1) cut the lead to one at 29-28.  The Mountaineers got the last basket of the half, a tip-in basket from junior Gabe Osabuohien, to push the lead to three at 31-28.

In the second half, WVU led 33-32 before going on a 15-4 run and taking a 48-36 lead.  The slimmest margin came with 4:07 left in the game when the Shockers cut it down to six at 60-54.

WVU pushed the lead back out to 14 at 75-61 late in the contest, the largest lead of the game.

Freshman Oscar Tshiebwe had a career night as he finished with 19 points as well as 18 rebounds, tying a Cancun Challenge record for rebounds in a single game.  He shot 5-of-8 from the field and 9-of-13 from the free throw line.

Sophomore Emmitt Matthews Jr. contributed with 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the field and 3-of-5 from three-point range.

After a career performance the night before, freshman Miles McBride came off the bench to score seven points and dish out four assists.

Following two dreadful shooting performances from three, WVU turned it around to shoot 7-of-17 for 41.2% against the Shockers.  However, free throw shooting was a major struggle for much of the game but shot well late, ending 18-of-30 for 60%.

The Mountaineers also had a decisive rebounding advantage, ending with a 48 to 31 margin.

WVU trailed for only 15 seconds in the game.

Fans will get an opportunity to see the Mountaineers at home again on Sunday when they take on the Rhode Island Rams, who defeated WVU by a score of 83-70 last season. The 2 p.m. tipoff will be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.