The West Virginia baseball team picked up a win on Tuesday evening as Nick Snyder pitched the Mountaineers to a 2-0 victory over Marshall.

Mountaineer right-hander Snyder was one out away from throwing a no-hitter before Marshall’s Erik Rodriguez laced a single up the middle of the infield. Snyder didn’t allow a single base runner until the third inning while striking out 16 batters over 127 pitches.

“It’s one of those things you don’t ever talk about…what a great performance but what a shame at the same time,” said West Virginia head coach Randy Mazey of Snyder’s performance.

The 16 strikeouts tops Mountaineer ace Alek Manoah’s pair of 15 strikeout performances this season against Texas Tech and Kansas on April 12 and April 20, respectively.

“Obviously there’s butterflies going out there for the ninth but kept telling myself to stay present, stay in the moment and just keep getting better,” explained Snyder on coming back on in the ninth.

West Virginia (27-15) wasn’t able to bring any runs across the plate until a Darius Hill single to center field brought home Brandon White for the one run lead in the third inning. The previous at bat saw White rip a double to left field with two outs.

Two innings later, Ivan Gonzalez extended the West Virginia lead to two runs with a single to left field which plated Hill and advanced Inman to third base.

“We need to hit,” Mazey said. “These 2-0 games and 3-2 games and walk-offs are fun for you guys to watch but that elevates my heart rate like you wouldn’t believe.”

Marshall (23-21) saw their fair share of pitchers walk to the mound on the night as right-handed starter Ryan Capuano only lasted 4 2/3 innings while serving up the pair of runs on five hits. Right-hander Phillip Hoffman pitched 1 1/3 innings of work only surrendering a lone hit.

Left-hander Garett Priestley and right-hander Bryan Callaly combined for a one hit eighth inning before right-hander Hunter Sexton finished it off in a no hit ninth inning.

West Virginia will be back in action on Friday evening as the Mountaineers begin their weekend series with TCU at 6:30 p.m. from Monongalia County Ballpark.