After five players scored in double-digits, the No. 25 West Virginia women’s basketball team improved to 4-0 with an 82-47 victory over the Coppin State Eagles on Thursday morning. 

On the second annual Day of Education, thousands of students filled the WVU Coliseum to watch the Mountaineers (4-0) put on a clinic against Coppin State (0-4).

West Virginia went on a 19-2 run to lead 23-8 at the end of the first quarter. The Eagles made it interesting in the second quarter, cutting the lead to 10 early on, however, Tynice Martin scored 12 points in the first half to keep the Mountaineers in the lead at halftime, 37-25. 

At halftime, WVU was shooting 10-of-32 for field goals while only committing six turnovers. CSU shot 10-of-23 from the field committing nine turnovers with eight of those coming in the first quarter. 

In the third quarter, West Virginia hit its first four shots to force a Coppin State timeout less than three minutes into the second half. The Mountaineers continued their scoring barrage with 24 total points in the third quarter to blow open the game, 61-41. 

WVU added to its lead in the fourth quarter to seal the victory, 82-47. Kysre Gondrezick led all scorers with her fourth 20-point performance of the season, scoring 20. In her first start of the 2019-20 season, Martin scored 17 points to go along with six rebounds. 

Kari Niblack broke double-digits, scoring 13 points while grabbing five rebounds. Freshman Kirsten Deans scored a career high 10 points along with three assists despite fouling out. Freshman Esmery Martinez nearly had her first career double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds. 

West Virginia head coach Mike Carey has been happy with the performances by Gondrezick this season and knows that her ability to score the ball impacts the offense in a positive way. 

“It helps us, especially when we’re not scoring in the paint,” Carey said. “If you hit perimeter shots, it opens up the paint. We have to take what they give us and just not force stuff.” 

West Virginia finished the game shooting 28-of-66 (42.4%) from the field and 10-of-27 from the three-point line. Coppin State shot 17-of-47 (36.2%) for field goals and 5-of-19 for three-pointers. 

Next, WVU will travel to Cancun, Mexico, to participate in the Cancun Challenge. The Mountaineers will face the Creighton Blue Jays on Nov. 28.