The No. 17 Mountaineers were blown out by the Oklahoma Sooners at the WVU Coliseum Wednesday, falling 73-49 and to a record of 13-2 on the season. 

“Had no heart, quit playing,” said WVU women’s head basketball coach Mike Carey postgame.

All night, WVU was unable to contain Oklahoma’s star sophomore guard Taylor Robinson, who scored a game high 31 points and shot a whopping 50% from the field. 

For the first time this season, the Mountaineers didn’t have a single player score in double-digits. Tynice Martin was the Mountaineers’ leading scorer, finishing with just 8 points on the night.

Shooting from behind the arc was a difficult task for the Mountaineers as they didn’t make a single three-point shot until there was 1:19 left in the fourth quarter, going 1-of-13, 7.7% on the night. On the contrary, the Sooners were red hot from three-point range, shooting 42.3%. 

“We shot about 12% in the first quarter and then quit playing,” Carey said. “We settled for threes, didn’t attack, didn’t move the ball, gave up. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life.”

One thing that WVU was able to do well all night was draw fouls and go to the free throw line, where they went 20-of-28, a 71% mark on the night. Martin was able to get to the line the most by using her physicality in the paint and driving to the basket. 

“I mean, we went 20-of-28 from the line, which is okay, but it didn’t win us the game,” Tynice Martin said. “We are a good shooting team, we need to definitely do something different as a team.”

The level of effort from the Mountaineers on the defensive and rebounding ends will be addressed this week before the team travels to play the No. 2 team in the country, the Baylor Bears, according to head coach Mike Carey. 

“We’re beat up, but everyone in the country is,” Carey said. “Had no heart, went through the motions, we gave up on defense, we let them get 18 threes off.”

The showdown against the Bears will take place Saturday in Waco at the Ferrell Center. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m.