The West Virginia women’s soccer team earned its first top 25 victory of the season with a 2-0 win against No. 25 Georgetown on Saturday. The victory moved WVU on to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the fifth year in a row. 

Sophomore forward Alina Stahl scored her first goal of the match at the 12th minute to give the Mountaineers the 1-0 lead. With six minutes left in the first period, Stahl scored again off an assist from sophomore forward Lizzie Mayfield to add to West Virginia’s lead, 2-0. 

This was the second time this season that Stahl scored two goals in a match. She recorded her first brace of the season against Bowling Green on Sept. 22, in a 2-0 victory in Morgantown.  

Georgetown (13-5-3) was unable to get on the scoreboard thanks to seven saves by WVU senior goalkeeper Rylee Foster. 

Despite the victory, West Virginia (11-7-2) was outshot by Georgetown, 19-8.

This was a rematch between the two squads from September when the Hoyas earned a 3-0 victory over the Mountaineers. 

The Hoyas had advanced to the semifinals in the NCAA Tournament in two of the past three years, including last year. However, with the loss, Georgetown suffers its earliest exit in the NCAA Tournament since 2017 when it lost in the first round to Wake Forest.

With the win, West Virginia will face Central Connecticut State in the second round. The Blue Devils upset No. 4 seed Rutgers, 1-0, on Friday afternoon.