West Virginia (6-4-1, 1-1) lost its first Big 12 match of the season Thursday night with a 4-2 against the Baylor Bears (6-3-3, 2-1). 

Freshman forward Elizabeth Kooiman scored three goals for the Bears as Baylor ended the night with 17 total shots. Along with those 17 shots, 12 were on goal. West Virginia ended the night with only 10 total shots with five on goal. 

Neither team was on the board in the first half, but both teams took off after the first five minutes of the second period, with four goals were scored in a span of nine minutes. 

Baylor got on the board first at the 50th minute, but six minutes later, WVU answered with a goal. Baylor scored the next two goals to retake the lead 3-1 with 30 minutes remaining in the contest. 

Eventually, Kooiman scored at the 78th minute to get the hat trick and put Baylor up 4-1. Sophomore forward Lizzie Mayfield gave the Mountianeers a late boost with her first goal of the season bringing the score to 4-2. 

This was only Baylor’s second win against the Mountaineers since West Virginia joined the Big 12. The Mountaineers are now 5-2-1 in the series. 

West Virginia remains on the road in the state of Texas this weekend as it heads to Austin to face the Texas Longhorns on Sunday. The match kicks off at 2 p.m. and will be available on the Longhorn Network. 

Sports Writer

Charles is a sophomore from Grant, Alabama studying sports journalism. Charles has been working for the DA since the winter of 2019 as a sports writer and has covered sports such as golf, women's tennis, women's basketball, and wrestling.