For the first time since October 2018, the WVU women’s soccer team fell to a ranked opponent Sunday afternoon, losing to the No. 3 Stanford Cardinal.

Since losing to No. 24 Baylor on Oct. 5, the Mountaineers had won three consecutive contests against ranked opponents before falling to the Cardinal 3-1 at Jeffrey Field at Penn State University on Sunday.

It was only the fourth time that senior goalkeeper Rylee Foster had surrendered three or more goals in her career, and the first time since her sophomore season.

Stanford put all three goals on the board during the first half of play. WVU had opportunities in the first half with three corner kicks, but Stanford held the Mountaineers without a shot in the first half, and the Cardinal entered halftime up 3-0.

The Mountaineers got on the board in the 46th minute when sophomore forward Alina Stahl put one past Stanford goalie Katie Meyer. WVU never pulled closer than 3-1 as Stanford closed out the game and defeated No. 11 WVU for its third win on the season.

WVU falls to 1-1 on the young season and will play High Point University at home on Friday.

For the first time since October 2018, the WVU women's soccer team fell to a ranked opponent Sunday afternoon, losing to the No. 3 Stanford Cardinal.