679A1533.jpg

By Charles Montgomery

Sports Writer

The 2019-20 season is continuing on a downward spiral for the West Virginia women’s basketball team following a 50-44 loss to the Texas Longhorns on Monday night. WVU will take on Kansas at home on Saturday.

The Mountaineers have lost four of their past five, going 2-8 in their last 10 games. Before Monday night’s game, WVU ended a three-game losing streak by defeating the Texas Tech Red Raiders, 67-60, on Saturday.

Against Texas, West Virginia struggled throughout the game to get in a rhythm offensively without leading scorer Kysre Gondrezick. Gondrezick has missed the past two games due to injury.

West Virginia shot 20-of-61 (33%) from the floor and 0-of-15 from three-point range against the Longhorns. They never lead in the game.

For the season, WVU is averaging 65 points per game while shooting 39% from the floor. Over the past five games, the Mountaineers have only hit that average field goal percentage once.

One bright spot for West Virginia (15-9, 5-8) in the absence of Gondrezick has been the play of forward Kari Niblack. Against Texas Tech, Niblack earned a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds, and on Monday against Texas, Niblack was the leading scorer with 16 points to go along with seven rebounds.

Kansas (13-11, 2-11) will enter the game on Saturday night with only two wins in 2020. The Jayhawks earned their second Big 12 victory on Feb. 15 against Texas, 82-67.

The leading scorer for Kansas is freshman guard Zakiyah Franklin. She averages 12 points per game in 24 starts this season.

As a team, Kansas is averaging 64 points per game while shooting 38% from the field. The Jayhawks are averaging 17 turnovers a game.

In the first meeting between the two teams this year, WVU dominated in a 68-49 victory. Tynice Martin and Gondrezick combined for 44 points with Martin leading the team with 23 points. The Mountaineers held Franklin to one point in 30 minutes of action.

The game is scheduled to tip off at 5 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum. It will be broadcasted on AT&T SportsNet.