679A1511.jpg

The West Virginia women’s basketball team struggled to find a rhythm from the floor on Monday night and fell to the Texas Longhorns, 50-44. 

The game started off poorly for the Mountaineers after they were held to 10 points in the first quarter on 5-of-17 (29%) shooting from the field. The Longhorns built an 11-point lead after shooting 50% from field goal range and 6-of-6 from the free-throw line to lead 21-10. 

The second quarter was much of the same for WVU when it came to shooting the ball as it failed to crack 30% again for the quarter, going 4-of-14 (29%). However, the Longhorns lost their hot hand and only hit two shots in the quarter to watch their double-digit lead dwindle to seven at halftime.

Texas re-established its dominance in the third quarter and built its lead back up to double digits to head to the fourth quarter leading, 42-31. The Mountaineers never led in the game, despite cutting the Texas lead to three with 2:06 remaining. 

The Longhorns held on to win, 50-44, after Lashann Higgs scored four of the final six points. 

Overall, West Virginia (15-9, 5-8) shot 20-of-61 (33%) from field-goal range, but did not hit a single three-pointer, going 0-of-15. Texas fared a little better from the field, shooting 20-of-55 (36%). The Longhorns went 2-of-8 (25%) from three-point range. 

Kari Niblack was the lone Mountaineer to score in double digits with 16 points in 37 minutes. Blessing Ejifor had a great night on the boards with a team high nine, but only scored two points. 

Kysre Gondrezick missed her second straight game due to injury and Tynice Martin only scored eight points after going 0-of-6 from behind the arc. 

Sophomore center Charli Collier secured a double-double for the Longhorns with 11 points and 15 rebounds. This was Collier’s 13th double-double of the year. 

This is the fourth loss out of the past five games for West Virginia. The Mountaineers have gone 2-8 since Jan. 12 when they last played Texas (16-9, 8-5). 

West Virginia will host Kansas next on Saturday at the WVU Coliseum. Tipoff will be at 5 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on AT&T Sportsnet.