The woes continued for the West Virginia women’s basketball team after losing to Oklahoma State on Saturday, 60-57. 

West Virginia took an early 7-0 lead in the first quarter, with five points coming from Kysre Gondrezick. In the final eight minutes, the Mountaineers only scored four total points and allowed the Cowgirls to cut the deficit to three.  

During the second quarter, WVU built its largest lead of the game — 11 — with six minutes remaining in the half. Before the Mountaineers could get comfortable, Oklahoma State finished the second quarter on a 13-3 run to only trail by one at halftime. 

At the half, only one Mountaineer had scored in double-digits. Gondrezick led the team with 10 points after shooting 4-of-10 from the field. West Virginia as a team shot 10-of-31 (32%) from the floor and had committed 11 turnovers. 

Oklahoma State was not performing much better as the team was shooting 11-of-30 (37%) from field goal range. The Cowgirls did take advantage of the 11 West Virginia turnovers and scored eight points in response. 

Throughout the third quarter, it was a back and forth affair with OSU gaining its first lead of the game at the eight-minute mark at 27-26. Kari Niblack took over for West Virginia (14-7, 4-6), scoring seven points while shooting 5-of-6 from the free-throw line.

The quarter was defined at the free-throw line as both teams combined for 19 attempts. WVU took a slim 41-39 lead into the final quarter.  

In the fourth quarter, West Virginia could not hang on to the lead after giving up 21 points in the quarter, with eight of those coming in the final minute. Oklahoma State (13-10, 4-7) took the lead with 23 seconds remaining after Ja’Mee Asberry hit an and-one layup. The Cowgirls were able to ice the game at the line to end a four-game losing streak. 

As a team, the Mountaineers shot 22-of-62 (36%) from the floor and an appalling 5-of-18 (28%) from three-point range. The Cowgirls didn’t fare much better as they shot 33% from the field and 30% from behind the arc. 

Only two players for West Virginia scored in double digits: Gondrezick and Niblack. Gondrezick led the team with 13 points while only shooting 5-of-18 from the floor. Niblack nearly had a double-double after putting up 12 points and grabbing 7 rebounds. 

With the defeat, WVU has dropped six of its last seven games. 

Tynice Martin struggled throughout the game to finish with a lackluster 7 points. She only hit one three-pointer out of six attempts. 

For the Cowgirls, Natasha Mack led the team with 23 points and 15 rebounds to earn a double-double. Vivian Gray also played well, scoring 14 points while playing the full 40 minutes. 

Up next, West Virginia returns to the Coliseum to host Kansas State on Tuesday. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and it will be televised on MountaineerTV.