The West Virginia women’s basketball team struggled to find its stroke from field goal range as the team fell to No. 2 Baylor, 64-39, on Monday night. 

WVU head coach Mike Carey was not pleased with the team’s offensive prowess.

“We weren’t hitting any shots,” Carey said. “Why aren’t we moving the ball around and making them move? That’s just understanding basketball and understanding how to play the game.”

It took some time for both teams to get warmed up in the first quarter with the score tied at six with 2:40 remaining in the opening quarter. The Bears finished the first on a 5-0 run and led, 11-6. WVU freshman guard Kirsten Deans hit a half-court buzzer beater shot, but it was waved off by the referees. 

In the second quarter, WVU answered Baylor pound for pound in the early going, and only trailed by two with 6:30 remaining in the half. Baylor rallied to end the second quarter on a 10-2 run to go to halftime with a 29-19 lead. West Virginia didn’t score a single point in the final 3:47 of the first half. 

Baylor took control for the rest of the game in the third quarter, beginning with a 13-0 run to earn its largest lead of the game at that point, 42-19. The Bears never cooled off, shooting 50% from field goal range and led 54-28 going into the fourth quarter. 

The fourth quarter was much of the same with the Bears holding the Mountaineers to 4-of-16 (25%) shooting. WVU only scored 20 points total in the half as Baylor scored 35 on 12-of-25 (48%) shooting. 

As a team, West Virginia (16-10, 6-9) finished the game shooting 24% from field goal range and 3-of-19 (16%) from three-point range. Baylor shot 45% from the floor and 5-of-11 (45%) from behind the arc. 

Only one Mountaineer scored in double-digits. Kysre Gondrezick in her first appearance since Feb. 11, she scored 13 points after only shooting 4-of-13 from the field. The dynamic duo of Gondrezick and Martin only combined for 20 points. 

Two players scored in double-digits for the Baylor Bears with Te’a Cooper leading the way with 17 points. Senior forward Lauren Cox nearly earned a double-double with 12 points and nine rebounds. 

With the victory, Baylor (16-1, 15-0) earned at least a share of its tenth straight Big 12 regular season title. 

Despite being one of the top teams in the conference for years, Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey still embraces another title.

“Winning never gets old,” Mulkey said. “If I’m not as excited today as I was 20 years ago then I don’t need to be doing this.” 

WVU has now lost four straight games against Baylor, with its last victory coming in the 2017 Big 12 Championship. 

West Virginia heads back on the road with a game against Iowa State on Saturday. Tip off is scheduled for 1 p.m.