hannah abraham xavier

Aug. 30, 2018; Hannah Abraham during WVU's 3-0 win over Xavier

On the second game of its three game road trip, the West Virginia women’s soccer team found a late winner, in a 2-1 victory against Oklahoma State.

On the road against the reigning regular season Big 12 champions, WVU’s Hannah Abraham scored a header off of a cross from Nadya Gill in the 87th-minute.

This was Abraham’s second goal of the season.

WVU (10-3-3, 6-1 Big 12) had a whopping 33 shots on Friday night, yet only nine of which were on goal. OSU had three shots, two on goal. The Mountaineers held the advantage on corner kicks, too, seven to one.

Lauren Segalla got a shot off just 66 seconds into the game and Grace Cutler followed that a few minutes later with a shot of her own.

Over the next eight minutes, WVU recorded five more shots.

In the 19th-minute, Oklahoma State (10-5-1, 2-4-1) recorded a foul in its own penalty, giving the Mountaineers a penalty kick.

Senior Bianca St. Georges stepped up and scored from the spot for her fourth goal of the 2018 campaign.

Against Texas, she scored a goal from the penalty spot, too.

Right after, WVU kept the pressure on, with Gill getting a shot on goal.

Oklahoma State’s first shot came in the 23rd-minute, with Taylor Olsen firing one wide of the frame.

In the 42nd-minute, WVU returned the favor to the Cowgirls, and committed a foul in its own penalty box.

Kim Rodriguez scored it for OSU to even up the game, 1-1. This was Rodriguez’s fourth goal of the season, the second most on the team.

In the second half, by the time OSU got its first shot off in the half in the 67th-minute, the Mountaineers would already get off nine shots against the Cowgirl defense.

Segalla was shown the first yellow of the game in the 59th-minute. Jaci Jones from OSU would be shown a yellow card in the 69th-minute and St. Georges would be booked just 16 seconds later.

WVU would keep the pressure up on Oklahoma State as the last 20 minutes would wind down.

A Mountaineer corner kick in the 83rd-minute would get the ball rolling for the game winner.

Two shots by Segalla- one shot saved and the other blocked- in the 86th-minute kept the pressure on the OSU keeper Hannah Warner.

The ball eventually found the feet of Gill and she sent a pass into the box that found the head of Hannah Abraham. The senior’s header wound up in the back of the net and would prove to be the game winning at Neal Patterson Stadium.

West Virginia wraps up its road schedule on Sunday afternoon against Oklahoma. Kick-off is set for 2 p.m. The Sooners are coming off of a 1-0 double overtime loss against TCU at home. The Sooners have a 7-6-2 overall record, with a 2-2-1 mark in conference play.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.