West Virginia midfielder Isabella Sibley looks to complete a pass against High Point.

The West Virginia (3-3-1) women’s soccer team begins a busy weekend with a home match on Friday against the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights (1-4-3). 

WVU is coming off a road loss, 3-0, to No. 15 Georgetown on Sunday afternoon. 

If there was ever a time for the Mountaineers to get a break, it’s now. Through seven games, West Virginia has faced four ranked teams with three of those matches on the road. In those four matches, WVU has scored a total of three goals as they have yet to defeat a ranked team this season. 

This match against Fairleigh Dickinson begins a weekend where the Mountaineers will see the Knights come to Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium on Friday and the Bowling Green Falcons on Sunday afternoon. These are the final two non-conference matchups for the Mountaineers. 

Not to say this match against Fairleigh Dickinson will be easy, but the only victory for the Knights came against the Alabama State Hornets 6-1. Since then, Fairleigh Dickinson has gone to double overtime three times where the teams tied each time. The team's worst loss came against the Miami Hurricanes on Aug. 25, losing 4-1. 

As of now, the top two scorers for the Mountaineers are freshmen. Freshman defender Julianne Vallerand has been on fire with five goals — her most recent goals came against Stony Brook where she scored twice. 

Freshman forward Nicole Payne has also been a significant boost for WVU with three total goals. She also scored two goals against Stony Brook. 

The match against Fairleigh Dickinson begins at 7 p.m. this Friday in Morgantown at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. 

Sports Writer

Charles is a sophomore from Grant, Alabama studying sports journalism. Charles has been working for the DA since the winter of 2019 as a sports writer and has covered sports such as golf, women's tennis, women's basketball, and wrestling.