The West Virginia women’s soccer team defeated Oklahoma, 3-0, in the Big 12 tournament quarterfinal.

Goals by Sh’Nia Gordon, Lauren Segalla, and Nadya Gill propelled the Mountaineers into the semis against the winner of the Texas and Kansas game.

“This team has unfinished business,” WVU head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said. “It was all about our tempo, moving the ball a little bit quicker and doing the little extra things. I thought Nadya and Nia did a great job. Everything is about tempo, and for us to go out and do it 28 seconds in – it wasn’t my battle cry, but I’ll take it. We wanted to get on them early and set the tone early. That’s exactly what we did.”

WVU came into the tournament as the two seed, and OU entered as the seventh seed.

It took just 26 seconds for the first shot of the game to be taken. Gordon took it from the right side, but fired the ball wide of the frame.

The first corner of the game at the minute mark for WVU, but nothing came of it, as Bianca St. Georges was called for a foul.

Segalla got her first shot off in the fourth-minute, but it was blocked wide. Grace Cutler took one, but the OU keeper, Mckinley Crone got her first save of the night. Crone made six saves on the night.

The Sooners first attempt of the game came in the 19th-minute. Kristina O’Donnell let one go from the top of the box that WVU goalie Rylee Foster saved.

OU was only able to shoot the ball five times in the first half. The last came at the 38-minte mark where Jordan Hobart’s go was wide right.

WVU had 13 shots in both halves of the game, where Oklahoma had even less in the second half, with three shots.

Just 28 seconds into the second half of play, WVU found the game’s opening goal.

Gordon scored from 12 yards out on a cross from Nadya Gill.

This goal was Gordon’s seventh goal of the season, which is now the most on WVU. She was tied with St. Georges for the team lead with six before Sunday.

After WVU’s goal, the Sooners had some chances to get back in the game. A shot by Kaylee Dao was followed by a corner kick, but OU came away with nothing to show for.

Cutler, St. Georges, and Jordan Brewster kept the pressure on the Oklahoma defense and keeper.

A corner in the 65th-minte helped lead to West Virginia getting an insurance goal.

Nadya Gill fond the back of the net from inside of the box for her third goal of the season.

After that goal, it was all WVU. The Sooners only had two shots in the last 23 minutes.

In the 86th-minute, Segalla really put the game out of reach. She took advantage of miscommunication between OU’s keeper and defender for an easy goal to put West Virginia up 3-0.

This was the second time this season WVU beat Oklahoma. The first time was one week prior to Sunday’s game. The Mountaineers won that meeting 4-1 in Norman.

Izzo-Brown reached a career milestone with the win, her 350th victory.

West Virginia is off until Friday when the semifinal will be played. Kick-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. from Kansas City.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.