gabby hollar 9/22

Freshman midfielder Gabby Hollar (33) dribbles the ball downfield against Bowling Green on Sunday, Sept. 22.

Following a grueling non-conference schedule that included matchups against four ranked opponents, the WVU women's soccer team is finally into Big 12 play.

This week, the Mountaineers begin a very difficult road stretch with a match in Waco, Texas, on Thursday against the Baylor Bears and a match in Austin, Texas, on Sunday against the Texas Longhorns.

West Virginia opened Big 12 play with a 2-0 victory last Friday against the Iowa State Cyclones in Morgantown. With the win, the Mountaineers improved to 8-0-0 all-time against ISU.

Following the victory Friday night, head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown acknowledged the tough test her team has ahead this week on the road against Baylor and Texas.

“Baylor and Texas, obviously two very tough teams,” Izzo-Brown said. “We need to bunker down and get ready for two tough road games.”

Baylor is coming off a 4-1 defeat against the No. 14 Kansas Jayhawks to fall to 5-3-3 overall and 1-1 in the conference. WVU has won three straight since its loss against No. 15 Georgetown on Sep. 15 to be at 6-3-1 overall with a 1-0 conference record.

Last season, WVU only suffered two Big 12 losses. One of those came against Baylor in overtime at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. Baylor would go on to win the Big 12 regular season championship at 20-6 overall with an 8-1 conference record.

However, West Virginia avenged the loss in the Big 12 conference tournament championship as it defeated Baylor 3-0 to win its second conference tournament in three years.

The Mountaineers and Bears are right behind one another in the Big 12 at fifth and sixth place, respectively. Texas leads the conference at 2-0.

The match on Thursday kicks off at 8 p.m. and will be available to stream on ESPN+. Sunday's match kicks off at 2 p.m. and will be streamed on the Longhorn Network.