WVU defender Jordan Brewster fights for the ball with a Duquesne soccer player.

This weekend, the No. 12 West Virginia (1-1-0) women’s soccer team returns to Dick Dlesk Stadium, hoping to avenge its recent loss to No. 3 Stanford.

On Friday, the Mountaineers will be hosting the Panthers of High Point University (0-2-0). WVU is hoping to get back above .500 after winning last Friday against Duquesne in the season-opener, but then falling to Stanford in Pennsylvania on Sunday.

After 21 total shots in the match against Duquesne, West Virginia only had four shots in the loss against Stanford. Out of those four, only two were on goal. WVU head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown believes her team needs to be more bold on the pitch.

“I felt that we played a little timid for the first 45 minutes of the game,” Izzo-Brown said after the matchup against Stanford. “I thought they capitalized on a lot of the mistakes that we made, and a team like that will definitely take advantage of those mistakes.”

High Point has not had a fun start to the season. The Panthers have yet to win a match as they have lost to Virginia Commonwealth and Elon, losing in those games 1-0 both times.

Despite that, Izzo-Brown doesn’t want the Mountaineers to let their guard down.

“We have to get better. We understand it’s a game of inches, it’s the little things that make the big things happen,” Izzo-Brown said. “So we’ve made sure that we’ve been focused in practice on those little things.”

This will hopefully be a tune-up game for the Mountaineers as they will have another quick turnaround with a match against No. 6 Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Sunday.

Friday’s match begins at 7 p.m. at Dick Dlesk Stadium. A stream will be available for viewing on wvusports.com.