After a victory over Duquesne, the women’s soccer team celebrates with the fans as “Take Me Home, Country Roads” plays.

Following two straight winless matches, the West Virginia women’s soccer team will take on Stony Brook on Thursday night for the first time in program history.

Stony Brook comes in to the matchup having lost their most recent game against Hofstra. To start the season, the Seawolves have won four of their first six games.

The hot start comes on the heels of a third place finish in the America East Conference last season. 

Having retained many key players from that 2018 team, the Seawolves have leaned on forward Alyssa Francese and midfielder Chelsie DePonte during this year’s campaign. The two juniors lead the team in scoring with three and two goals, respectively.

Junior forward Erin O’Connor, Stony Brook’s assist leader, is tied for third in the America East Conference this season.

Defensively, goalkeeper Sofia Manner is in the net for the Seawolves for third consecutive season. So far this year, Manner has a goals against average of 0.97, having allowed only six goals.

West Virginia head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown will look to counter the Seawolves’ defensive strength with a WVU offensive game plan that has averaged just under 15 shots per game so far this season.

Freshman defender Julianne Vallerand has played a critical role for the Mountaineers since the beginning of the season as she leads the team in goals and is tied for the team lead in assists.

On the defensive side of the ball, goalkeeper Rylee Foster will look to bounce back after having let up five goals in the last two games. 

Thursday night’s game will kick off at 7 p.m. from Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium in Morgantown.