Members of the WVU women's soccer team come together after Alina Stahl scores against Bowling Green.

On Friday, the West Virginia women’s soccer team will begin its Big 12 portion of the 2019-20 schedule. In their conference opener, the Mountaineers will host the Iowa State Cyclones.

WVU is 5-3-1 this season after winning its final two non-conference matches against Fairleigh Dickinson and Bowling Green last weekend. The Cyclones are 3-6 this year after losing their last two of three. Their last loss came against No. 11 Memphis, 3-0.

Neither team has fared well against top-25 opponents this season. West Virginia is still looking for its first victory as the Mountaineers are 0-3-1. Iowa State is also looking for its first win as the Cyclones are 0-2, losing to No. 4 UCLA, along with No. 11 Memphis.

There are high expectations for this WVU squad in the Big 12 as the Mountaineers were picked to win the conference in the preseason for the seventh consecutive season. Iowa State is looking to improve in a big way after a 2-6-1 conference record in 2018.

Head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown was pleased with her team’s victory over Bowling Green on Sunday. She was impressed with how her team performed after the quick turnaround.

“They don’t really miss a beat,” Izzo-Brown said. “I think that shows great character when adversity is facing them and we will bring that character into our first Big 12 game of the year.”

Since joining the Big 12 Conference, the Mountaineers have never lost to the Cyclones. WVU is a combined 7-0 and has only allowed two goals against ISU in those seven matches.

In fact, West Virginia has never lost a Big 12 opener. The Mountaineers are 6-0-1 in conference openers with the lone tie coming in 2014 to TCU.

Saturday night’s match begins at 7 p.m. at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.

Sports Writer

Charles is a sophomore from Grant, Alabama studying sports journalism. Charles has been working for the DA since the winter of 2019 as a sports writer and has covered sports such as golf, women's tennis, women's basketball, and wrestling.