The West Virginia women’s soccer team is in the NCAA Tournament for the 20th consecutive season as the Mountaineers will play the No. 25 Georgetown Hoyas on Saturday.

West Virginia had a disappointing end to its Big 12 Championship run with an early exit in the quarterfinals. WVU lost to eventual champion Kansas in the Mountaineers’ earliest exit from the conference tournament since 2012.

WVU head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown is very proud of her team for fighting throughout the season and feels they are ready to prove themselves in the upcoming tournament.

“The NCAA selection committee always has a tough job to do,” Izzo-Brown said. “I’m certainly glad that the committee saw the value in our RPI to give us an at-large bid. This team has stepped up this season. It’s been incredible to watch the journey and how they came together and just how badly they wanted to be the team to get to 20.”

Georgetown (13-4-3) finished the season with a loss in the Big East Conference Tournament to No. 1 seed Xavier. The Hoyas won their final two games of the regular season against Seton Hall and St. John’s.

The Mountaineers are led by sophomore forward Alina Stahl, who has five goals on the year. Senior forward Amanda Carolan leads the Hoyas with 11 goals and seven assists.

Despite the loss in the conference tournament, West Virginia won three of its last four games in the regular season to finish fifth in the Big 12.

The first round match will be the second meeting between these two squads of the 2019 season. WVU traveled to Washington, D.C., in September, where the Hoyas dominated and picked up a 3-0 victory over the Mountaineers.

West Virginia has won four straight opening-round matches going back to 2015. The Mountaineers have the fifth-longest streak in tournament appearances in the NCAA, with this being their 20th straight appearance.

The match will begin at noon on Saturday at Shaw Field on Georgetown’s campus.