Sh'nia Gordan running down the field

Sh’nia Gordan making her way down the field

The WVU women’s soccer team continues to roll through the rest of the Big 12 Conference as they defeated the Oklahoma Sooners on Sunday afternoon, 4-1.

“This team, as a whole—to do what we did today after a short turnaround against a really good team makes me very proud," WVU head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said following the game. "This shows how badly they wanted the win and to get the result.”

The scoring started off early as senior defender Bianca St. Georges was able to find the back of the net just under three minutes from the opening kickoff. The goal was the second fastest for the Mountaineers (11-3-3, 7-1 Big 12) on the season.

After the first score, senior forward Hannah Abraham was able to add an insurance goal in the 19th minute, which was soon followed up by a second Abraham score in the 28th minute. West Virginia went into halftime with a 3-0 lead.

With time on their side, the Sooners (8-7-2, 3-3-1) entered the pitch with an increased intensity coming out for the second half. Their adjustments paid off as junior forward Ivanna Rivas was able to score in the 58th minute.

The momentum shift was short-lived, however, as the Mountaineers were able to counter with a second score from St. Georges, this time coming off of a penalty kick in the 61st minute.

Despite having a full half to attempt to mend the deficit, Oklahoma was unable to do so. After St. Georges’ penalty kick goal, neither team was able to find the net again.

"It's incredible how hard they worked to create those chances, and then to get those finishes from our seniors—I can't speak enough about our senior leadership," Izzo-Brown said about St. Georges and Abraham. "Hard work pays off—that's their ingredient to success. No one works harder, and they both work their tailfeathers off. I'm proud that they're awarded for their hard work."

Setting up the goals for the Mountaineers were senior forward Sh’Nia Gordon, freshman forward Jordan Brewster and sophomore forward Lauren Segalla, who each finished the match with an assist.

After today’s match, the WVU defensive unit has only allowed four goals over the eight Big 12 Conference matchups they have had thus far this season.

Next up for the Mountaineers is the regular season finale as they take on the Kansas Jayhawks at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium on Thursday. In last season's matchup between the two teams, WVU emerged victorious by a final score of 2-0.