The West Virginia University wrestling team hosted Wyoming Saturday night at University High school in Morgantown.

In the last two meets, the Mountaineers were only able to score six points as a team and in both meets the team started by going through their first four matches before they got a single point. Saturday, however, they were able to pick up a win in the very first match of the night with Joey Thomas picking up a decision victory, and the team was able to keep the momentum rolling with multiple upsets over ranked opponents on their way to a 17-16 win, the team’s first win since beating Edinboro December 22.

Following Joey Thomas’ win in the first match, Lucas Seibert faced off against Wyoming’s No. 9 Montorie Bridges in the 133-pound weight class, Seibert was unable to get anything going and fell behind quickly in the matchup, down 8-1 after the first period and 12-3 after the second and then losing by major decision in the third, 15-3.

Next up, Caleb Rea helps get the Mountaineers back on track as he picks up a major decision over Trevor Jeffries, Rea started by picking up two points late in the first round then had a strong second period picking up six more to take an 8-0 lead, then in the third Rea was able to pick up two more points and ended the match 10-1.

In the 149-pound class, Liam Lusher took to the mat for the Mountaineers but was unable to pick up a win over Jarod Jensen and gave up three points to the Cowboys tying the score up at 7-7 after four.

In the fifth matchup, No. 33 Dewey Krueger took on one of the Mountaineers hottest wrestlers of late in Alex Hornfeck and for the third straight time, Hornfeck was able to pick up a huge win for the team, this time winning by major decision and giving the Mountaineers a nice four-point lead heading into the backstretch of the lineup.

In the sixth matchup of the night, No. 27 Nick Kiussis faced off against Wyoming’s Cole Moody, Kiussis fell down 2-1 early and was never able to take the lead eventually losing 6-5.

In the next weight class, Scott Joll looked to get the Mountaineers back on the winning track as he faced off against No. 12 Hayden Hastings, Hastings led 6-3 going into the third period, but Joll did not quit and tallied six points in the third period alone to take a 9-7 decision win back for the Mountaineers. 

In the 184-pound weight class, Jackson Moomau is unable to pick up an upset victory over No. 31 Tate Samuelson, after the 8-4 decision loss, the Mountaineers now only led by one point with two wrestlers remaining.

In the second to last class of the night, No. 2 Noah Adams kept his winning streak going with a 9-8 decision over No. 24 Stephen Buchanan.

Already up 17-13, Brandon Ngati was the last wrestler for the Mountaineers, he was unable to upset No. 20 Brian Andrews and lost 3-2, but since he lost by decision and only allowed the Cowboys to capture three points, the Mountaineers were able to hang on and pick up a huge win.

For the Mountaineers, they will host Utah Valley Sunday, Feb 23 from the coliseum in what will be the last dual meet of the season for the team. Following that, the team will have two weeks off before the Big 12 championships in Tulsa Oklahoma.