The West Virginia wrestling team traveled to West Point Sunday for a matchup with a strong Army team. 

In their second dual meet of the year, the Mountaineers lost by a score of 35-4, dropping the team to 0-2 on the year in dual meets.

The Mountaineers were only able to pick up one win on the day, with Noah Adams getting his tenth-straight win to start the season. 

The meet started with 125 pound Joey Thomas losing by decision to Army’s Trey Chalifoux.

Next up, WVU’s Luke Seibert lost by major decision, 10-0, to Andrew Wert Jr., giving the Black Knights an early 7-0 lead after two matchups.

The next two Mountaineers were Caleb Rea and Seth Hogue, who lost by technical fall in the third period and a pin, respectively. After four matchups, Army was holding a 21-0 lead. 

At 157, Alex Hornfeck took the mat for the Mountaineers and was holding on tight with a score of 3-1 going into the last few seconds. Hornfeck attempted a takedown to tie up that match but Army’s Lucas Weiland was able to escape and earn a point as the period ended to win by decision, 4-1. 

One of the biggest matchups of the day was Nick Kiussis versus Cael McCormick in the 165 pound matchup. Neither wrestler was able to score in the first period, but to start the second, Kiussis started on the bottom and was able to earn an escape point. In the third, McCormick scored an escape point of his own and followed it up with a takedown with just 12 seconds left in the match, pulling out the 3-1 decision win. 

The next Mountaineers competitor was 174 pound Scott Joll, who faced off against Army wrestler Ben Harvey. With 1:34 left in the third period, Joll gave up 15 points, ending the match by technical fall. 

At 184, WVU’s Jackson Moomau lost a close one with Jed Smith by a 7-3 decision.

In the lone West Virginia win on the day, Adams started his match off with six points in the first 30 seconds. He went on to finish the first period up 14-2 before slowing down in the second, adding only four more points. In the final period, Adams gave up six more points while only adding two, finishing the match with a major decision (18-10) over J.T. Brown.

To end the night, heavyweight Brandon Ngati kept the match with Army’s Bobby Heald close but eventually fell by a score of 3-2. 

Up next, the Mountaineers will have ten days off before they host Pittsburgh for a Backyard Brawl matchup on Thursday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum.