The Backyard Brawl is back in Morgantown once again on Thursday as the West Virginia wrestling team (0-2) takes on No. 15 Pittsburgh (2-1) in the WVU Coliseum at 7 p.m.

Coming into this meet, all eyes will be on Noah Adams for the Mountaineers. Adams has ten straight wins to start the season and sits at No. 11 in the country for the 197 weight class. West Virginia will also look to No. 20 Nick Kiussis for scoring in an intriguing matchup against Pittsburgh’s No. 11 Jake Wentzel in the 165 class. 

WVU is coming off of a tough defeat against No. 24 Army by a score of 35-4. Adams picked up the sole victory, an 18-10 major decision, and Kiussis lost his lead with just twelve seconds remaining as the squad struggled against a talented team in West Point.

For the Panthers, No. 5 Micky Philippi (133) leads a talented squad that includes four more ranked wrestlers. In their respective weight classes, the following are ranked by Intermat: No. 19 Cole Matthews (141), No. 12 Taleb Rahmani (157), No. 8 Nino Bonaccorsi (184), and No. 9 Demetrius Thomas (HWT). 

Pitt is coming off an impressive upset over then-No. 7 Lehigh, 19-18, prevailing in total match points. Thomas prevailed in the final match of the meet, winning it all for the Panthers by making up a three point deficit. 

Thursday’s matchup can be viewed at wvusports.com/watch