Feb. 7th 2020 - Redshirt Sophomore Joey Thomas looks to gain control of his opponents back at the Coliseum

The West Virginia wrestling team traveled to Iowa for a weekend with two Big 12 dual meets. The first match took place Friday against No. 16 Northern Iowa, where the Mountaineers were only able to win two matchups on the night and lost by a score of 36-6. 

WVU started slow, losing its first four matchups and giving up 18 points in the process with six coming from a pin in the 125-pound matchup and four from a major decision in the 133-pound class. 

Caleb Rea gave the team some hope in the 141-pound class, overcoming a seven-point deficit to tie up his match with Michael Blockhus. In overtime, Rea was unable to score an escape point in the second overtime period and lost by one, giving the Panthers a 13 point lead after three. 

In the next matchup, WVU’s Liam Lusher lost to Max Thomsen. With one point coming from riding time, Thomsen scored enough points to register a technical fall and score five more points for the Panthers. 

In the final match before the intermission, Alex Hornfeck was able to finally get the Mountaineers on the board with a 7-3 decision win over Paden Moore, bringing the score to 18-3 with five matchups left.

Following the intermission, No. 27 Nick Kiussis was unable to keep the momentum going and dropped an 8-2 decision to Austin Yant.

Already down 21-3, Mountaineers Scott Joll and Jackson Moomau were pinned back to back, giving the Panthers an insurmountable 33-3 lead with two matches left.

In the 197-pound weight class, Noah Adams picked up a 6-1 decision win over Isaiah Patton for win number 26 in a row in one of WVU’s only bright spots of the night.

In the final match of the night, Sean Mullican lost a decision to No. 12 Carter Isley, bringing the final score to 36-6.

Next up, the Mountaineers will travel an hour and a half southwest to Ames, Iowa, for a matchup with the Iowa State Cyclones on Saturday at 8 p.m.