Looking for its first win of the season, the West Virginia wrestling team hosted Buffalo Sunday at the WVU Coliseum, ultimately falling short by a score of 24-11.

For the first time this season, the Mountaineers started the match off with a victory as 125-pound Joey Thomas took an 8-1 decision victory over Jordan Reyes to give the team an early 3-0 lead.

That lead did not last long though as, in the next matchup, Lucas Seibert lost by tech fall to Buffalo’s Derek Spann, giving the Bulls a 5-3 lead. The Mountaineers would go on to lose the next four matchups — three losses by decision and one by pin.

One of those decision losses came in the 165-pound class with No. 20 Nick Kiussis losing to Troy Keller in overtime by a score of 7-5.

Heading into the 184-pound matchup, West Virginia, already down 24-3 with three matches left, had no chance of coming back for the win. Yet, WVU’s Jackson Moomau took the mat and was able to pick up his first career dual meet win with a 5-2 decision over Pete Accciardi.

Following the 184-pound win, the Mountaineers’ leading wrestler, Noah Adams, took the mat looking for his 12th straight win of the season. Adams started slow, finishing the first period down 2-1 but by the end of the second he was tied with Buffalo’s Sam Schuyler at 2-2. In the third, Adams came out strong and went on to win, 10-3, bringing the Mountaineers’ team total to nine.

The last wrestler of the day for West Virginia was heavyweight Brandon Ngati, who was up against Nolan Terrance. The match started slow with the score deadlocked at 0-0 through both the first and second periods but, in the third period, Ngati was able to get a takedown to take a 2-0 lead. He was able to hold onto that 2-0 lead till the end of the period and won by decision.

Next up, the Mountaineers will travel to Parkersburg High School for a matchup with Ohio (1-3) on Dec. 20.