The West Virginia wrestling team hosted South Dakota State Friday night in its first home Big 12 matchup of the season. The Mountaineers got down early and were not able to climb out of the hole, falling to the Jackrabbits 29-15. 

The night started off with the 125-pound weight class. Mountaineer Joey Thomas trailed the majority of the match but, with only 20 seconds left in the third period, Thomas took a shot to try and tie it up. SDSU’s Danny Vega was able to counter and get a takedown of his own for two more points and the win.

Up next was Lucas Seibert versus Zach Price of South Dakota State. Although it was a close match, Price was able to lead the match wire to wire and eventually pulled away with a 7-4 decision win.

Down 6-0, the Mountaineers needed to get something going with the 141-pound weight class. Caleb Rea did just that. 

Taking on SDSU’s Clay Carlson, the two wrestlers were tied through three periods. Going scoreless in the first period of overtime, Rea was able to bounce back and earn WVU’s first win of the night.

In the next matchup, West Virginia’s Seth Hogue faced off against Henry Pohlmeyer. With 50 seconds left in the first period, Pohlmeyer was able to pin Hogue and give the Jackrabbits a 12-3 lead.

In the final battle before the intermission, WVU’s Alex Hornfeck faced off against Peyton Smith. Hornfeck was leading going into the final seconds of the third period, but Smith was able to take Hornfeck down. With one second left, Smith was able to pin Hornfeck and capture six more points for the Jackrabbits. 

South Dakota State was not done yet as, in the 165-pound class, WVU’s Nick Kiussis was pinned by Tanner Cook in the final seconds, giving SDSU its third-straight pin and a commanding 24-3 lead.

The next Mountaineer to wrestle was Scott Joll, who was able to finally get the team back on track with a 8-3 decision victory over Cade King. 

In the very next matchup, Hunter Delong lost by major decision to Zach Carlson, putting a potential tie out of reach. Having already locked up the victory, the Jackrabbits decided to forfeit in the 197-pound class, extending Noah Adams’ win streak to 25. 

Then in the final match, West Virginia went with Sean Mullican instead of Brandon Ngati. Mullican was able to pick up a decision win over Blake Wolters, giving him his first collegiate dual victory. 

The Mountaineers will travel to Cedar Falls, Iowa, Friday for an intraconference matchup against Northern Iowa.