Dec. 8, 2019. WVU head wrestling coach Tim Flynn observes a match.

So far in his second year at West Virginia University, head wrestling coach Tim Flynn has experienced growing pains. Yet, he has recently received some good news.

On Friday, Jan. 31, it was announced by the Pennsylvania Wrestling Coaches Association that the veteran coach would be inducted into the Pennsylvania Wrestling Hall of Fame.

For Flynn, the announcement is a welcome one, but also conveys his age.

“It’s nice to be honored,” Flynn said. “I just feel like, I don’t know, I’m not that young, but I feel young, and I feel like we got a lot to do here, so I feel like those things are for retired people so that’s kind of how I felt.”

Flynn wrestled at Penn State from 1983 to 1987, finishing with a career record of 105-32-5. He qualified for nationals in all years but his freshman year and in his senior year, while also becoming a captain of the team. That year’s Penn State team finished third in the national championships with Flynn finishing seventh in the 134-pound weight class.

Following his wrestling career, Flynn became an assistant coach at Penn State before moving on to be an assistant at Edinboro University between 1992 and 1997. Following the 1997 season, Flynn took over as head coach at Edinboro, leading the Fighting Scots to a 223-95-5 record over his 21 years.

While he was the head coach at Edinboro, Flynn helped qualify 150 wrestlers to the Division I national tournament, and as a team led Edinboro to ten top five finishes and 14 top 20 finishes. After the 2018 season, Flynn left Edinboro to become the head coach of the Mountaineers.

Since becoming the head coach at West Virginia, he has led the team to a 7-25 record. While the record is below average, Flynn was able to help five different Mountaineers qualify for the national tournament in his first year.

The induction will take place on May 17 at the Mountainview Country Club in State College, Pennsylvania.