Natania Levak celebrating a WVU point in volleyball.

Sept. 15, 2018: Junior Natania Levak celebrates a WVU point with teammate Kristin Lux.

West Virginia swept the University of Pennsylvania in their second game of the Mountaineer Classic tournament.

Lindsay Proctor got the Mountaineers on the board early in the first set of the match with an ace. Defensive specialist Alexa Hastings matched with another ace, putting WVU up 7-2. Penn answered with three straight cutting their deficit to three (11-8).

A trio of kills put an end to Penn’s scoring run. A kill from Kristin Lux put WVU at 20 (20-11). The Mountaineers reached set point at 25, posting 12 kills for a .435 hitting percentage in the first set.

In the second set both teams traded points early on. WVU took the lead 9-7 off a Quaker ball handling error. Freshman Lacey Zerwas advanced the Mountaineers lead to 11-8 with an ace. Lindsay Proctor served up her second ace of the day taking the lead 13-9.

The Mountaineers reached set point at 25 following a Penn attacking error 25-17. WVU, hungry for the sweep, went into set three with a 2-0 lead.

WVU came out strong in the third set with a 4-0 lead following back-to-back kills. The Quakers kept the set close with a 4-0 scoring run, tying it up at 6-6.

Kristina Jordan put down a kill giving the Mountaineers a 14-13 lead.

Katie DeMeo got the Mountaineers to 20 with a kill. Penn scored two straight taking the 21-20 advantage. Lux put WVU ahead with back-to-back kills (22-21). Mountaineers racked up three straight to reach set match and point 24-21. Marielena Somoza hit an ace for the 3-0 sweep.

Lux, a freshman outside hitter, finished the match with 13 kills for a career high hitting percentage of .579.

The Mountaineers faced off with Wake Forest in their third game of the tournament on Saturday evening.

There was a lot of back-and-forth in the first set until Wake Forest scored three straight to take the lead 9-7. WVU answered with four in a row including an ace from Lacey Zerwas, giving the Mountaineers the 11-9 lead.

Wake Forest capitalized off a pair of WVU miscues tying up the set. The Demon Deacons took the lead following a kill and a Mountaineer attacking error (18-16). DeMeo tied up the set with back-to-back kills 23-23.

DeMeo kept the blocks coming giving WVU the first set victory 25-23.

Wake Forest took a 15-12 lead midway in the frame. Back-to-back points from the Demon Deacons increased their lead 20-14. The Mountaineers scored three in a row including an ace from Somoza.

Wake Forest took the second set off a WVU service error 25-20.

WVU used a pair of scoring runs to take the early lead in the third set 8-2. A trio of Mountaineer kills extended the lead 11-3. Jordan hit an ace to start a five point scoring rally (16-9).

Wake Forest scored four in a row to cut WVU’s lead to 16-12. DeMeo got her fourth block of the night bringing the Mountaineers close to set point. Katelyn Evans found the floor as the Mountaineers take the set and the 2-1 lead in the match.

Sophomore Ava Richards hit the fifth ace of the match taking the lead to 9-7.

Back-to-back Demon Deacon attacking errors increased the Mountaineer lead 13-10. A Wake Forest service error brings WVU to 20 (20-17). Two service aces hand WVU the set and match 3-1.

The Mountaineers will be back on the court Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Coliseum against Iowa State for their first Big 12 game.