WVU score 4 BU score 0

The West Virginia Mountaineers women's soccer team have now won consecutive games for the first time this season.

WVU beat Boston University, 4-0, on Saturday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. Boston did not have a single shot-on-goal all game.

Head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown’s squad got off to a very dominating first half at home. WVU (3-2-3) outshot Boston 13-0 (5-0 on goal) and held an advantage on corner kicks, as well, 5-1. For much of the half, the ball was in Boston’s third of the field, keeping pressure on the Terriers keeper, Morgan Messner, forcing her to save three shots.

“It was a great team offense all together. A lot of people stepped up individually,” said senior Grace Cutler. “We were able to get a lot more through balls than we were usually. Overall, we all stepped it up together.”

Off of the Mountaineers first corner of the game, Addison Clark had a shot that hit the post and bounce out in the second minute. The pressure put on by WVU in the first few minutes of the half were a sign of things to come in the rest of the half number one.

In the span of six minutes, Hannah Abraham and Grace Cutler both had chances inside the box but only yielded a second corner.

The next minute, Cutler had yet another chance, but again, nothing to show for.

In the 19th minute, Boston (1-7-1) had their first chance, as they won a corner kick, but the ball went out of play behind the goal. In the first 45, that was the only real chance the Terriers had. WVU starting goalie Rylee Foster did not even have to make a save.

In the 22nd and 26th minute, WVU won their third and fourth corner kicks, but still remained goalless on the scoreboard.

Just one minute later, in the 27th minute, WVU found its breakthrough, in the form of sophomore midfielder Stefany Ferrer-vanGinkel. The Spanish international had a breakaway and capped it off with a clever chip shot over Messner to get West Virginia on the score sheet.

Nadya Gill took a free kick in the in the 30th minute. Her shot went around the wall, but just over the cross bar.

West Virginia’s second goal was scored by substitute Alina Stahl. Her left-footed shot hit the far post and went in for her first goal on the season.

“I think this team is really focused and realizes that everyone does their job,” said Izzo-Brown. “It’s [just been] extra effort, being brave, whatever it is, around the 18, and I think that you can see that. That everybody has been a little bit sharper when it comes to finishing and tonight it finally happened for us and we were able to get four.”

In the second half, it was much of the same story for both teams.

It only took WVU about 10 minutes to pick up where it left off. Senior Sh’Nia Gordon scored her first goal and recorded her first point of the season in one kick, as she scored in the 54th minute. She dribbled through the box and beat BU’s keeper at the near post.

Four minutes later, Ferrer-vanGinkel scored her second of the game from the penalty spot. Hannah Abraham drew the foul in the box to give WVU a penalty kick.

There were two more chances for WVU, as Louis Joel and Lizzie Mayfield both had shots that hit the post and bounced back into play.

West Virginia’s second half was arguably more dominant than the first half. WVU got off 14 shots (one better than the first half total) and won five corners.

Senior Bianca St. Georges was left off the team sheet on Thursday evening. Izzo-Brown said “as a senior, you want to give everyone rest when you can, and this was a great opportunity for us to rest her up.”

The Mountaineers have won two games in a row for the first time in 2018. WVU looks to make it three in a row on Sunday afternoon against Saint Francis. Kick-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.