The West Virginia women’s basketball team lost its third straight game with a 56-55 loss to the Kansas State Wildcats on Tuesday night. 

West Virginia head coach Mike Carey believes this can be a learning experience for his team.

"We just have to move forward," said Carey. "No one has stepped up to be a leader, and no one is making anyone accountable on this team."

The first quarter was not kind to the Mountaineers as Kansas State jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the first two minutes. WVU was able to cut the deficit to three at the end of the quarter despite six turnovers as a team. Kansas State led at the end of one, 15-12. 

In the second quarter, West Virginia (14-8, 4-7) tied the game multiple times but was unable to take the lead due to Angela Harris scoring 10 points in the half. The Wildcats led by as much as five before West Virginia ended the half on a 5-0 run to tie the game at 24. 

For the first half, the Mountaineers could never find their touch from the floor, shooting 10-of-31 (32%). The Wildcats did not fare much better as they shot 10-of-27 (37%) from field-goal range. West Virginia only led for 27 seconds in the half. 

Both teams turned it over at least six times with WVU committing seven in the first half. Unlike West Virginia, Kansas State took advantage of the sloppy play and scored nine points. WVU only scored two points off the KSU turnovers. 

Kansas State began the third quarter hitting its first two shots to lead, 28-26, just two minutes into the second half. The Mountaineers then took over in the quarter, going on a 15-2 run to gain as much as an 11-point lead. 

Kysre Gondrezick led the way with eight points in the quarter while shooting 2-of-3 (66%) from three-point range. After turning it over only six times in the entire first half, KSU turned it over seven times alone in the third. 

During the fourth quarter, WVU built its lead to 18 with seven minutes remaining. Kansas State then went on a 24-5 run to close out the game. Blessing Ejiofor hit a buzzer-beater, but it was for two points when West Virginia needed three. 

This is the seventh loss in the last eight games for WVU. 

As a team, West Virginia shot 21-of-64 (33%) from the field. The Mountaineers couldn’t hit from three-point range either as they finished 4-of-13 (31%). Kansas State (11-11, 5-6) finished the game shooting 22-of-53 (42%) after shooting 59% from the floor in the fourth quarter. 

Three Mountaineers scored in double-digits. Kari Niblack finished the game with 12 points and seven rebounds. Tynice Martin added 12 points after shooting 4-of-17 (24%) from the field and Gondrezick scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds. 

Harris led the Wildcats in scoring with 18 points. Ayoka Lee earned a double-double with 15 points and 16 rebounds. 

West Virginia is back in action at home on Saturday against Texas Tech. Tipoff is scheduled for 5 p.m.