On Tuesday evening, the Mountaineers ended their two-match losing streak and swept George Washington University 3-0 on their home court in Washington, D.C.

West Virginia (9-9, 1-4 Big 12) took an early 3-0 lead in the first set off a GW service error and back-to-back kills. Capitalizing off more GW miscues and an ace from setter Lacey Zerwas, WVU took a six-point lead (11-5). Katie DeMeo and Kristina Jordan put down two more kills increasing WVU’s lead.

The Colonials tried to rally, scoring four in a row to come within five (17-12), but WVU kept finding the floor. Jordan and Zerwas each put down kills, giving West Virginia a nine-point lead. WVU continued to put points on the board with back-to-back shots from Katelyn Evans. Katie DeMeo slammed one down, securing the Mountaineer win for the first set (25-15), taking a 1-0 lead in the match.

Although the Colonials took the early 4-1 lead in the second set, WVU used a 6-0 scoring run to take a 10-6 lead. Zerwas served up her second ace of the evening during that run. Evans put one down to take a 19-10 advantage over the home team. Jordan and Kristin Lux teamed up for a block that got the Mountaineers to set point and the 2-0 lead in the match.

The third set was back-and-forth early on. The Colonials held a slim 6-5 advantage after a kill and back-to-back Mountaineer miscues. WVU gained momentum after Jordan slammed two aces in a row and put the Mountaineers on top, 10-6. Evans found the floor, increasing the lead to 18-7. The Mountaineers were first to put 20 on the board after a GW service error. A kill from Lux put WVU at set point, giving the team the third set win and 3-0 match sweep.

Three Mountaineers hit above .300 for the evening, with Evans finishing with a team-high nine kills. Defensive specialist Ava Richards carried the floor defense matching her career-high 11 digs. This win was WVU’s fifth sweep of the season, earning the team an 8-5 record in non-conference play.

Looking forward, the team will host its annual Pink Match on Saturday, Oct. 13 against No. 24 Baylor. Tickets and concession will be available for $1 each.