Babic rifle

Milica Babic peers down the sights of her rifle.

The West Virginia rifle team beat Ole Miss by a score of 4739- 4647 to set a NCAA record score in air rifle.

The Mountaineers swept both events, breaking an NCAA record by winning air rifle 2392- 2364. This mark bests the score West Virginia recorded earlier this season on Sept. 30 against Ohio State, which was a smallbore score of 2347- 2283.

"Everyone had a really good day today," said WVU head coach Jon Hammond. "They were focused, and it was one of those days that flowed and all went well. They all shot incredibly well in air rifle on the same day, and I think being in our range helped."

Junior Ginny Thrasher won both individual events, coming out on top in the air rifle with a score of 599 and smallbore with a score of 590.

"Ginny has been working really hard this semester and she’s been in a better groove," Hammond said.

Senior Elizabeth Gratz and sophomore Milica Babic tied for second place in air rifle with a score of 598, which marked a season-high for both shooters. David Koenders tied his career-high with a 597 to take fourth.

In smallbore, Morgan Phillips took second place with a season-best score of 588. Koenders took third place with a 587.

The five Mountaineers that made up the score were Babic, Koenders, Gratz, Phillips and Thrasher.

West Virginia is off for two weeks before returning to action on Nov. 4 against TCU.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.