wvu wsu score

The West Virginia women’s volleyball team finished the WVU Invitational with a 3-1 loss to Wright State on Saturday afternoon.

It was the final match of the event for the Mountaineers, who came away with a 2-1 overall record and wins against Georgia Southern and UConn.

Wright State (2-1) won the first two sets 25-20 and 27-25, before WVU was able take the third set 25-19. The Raiders used a 25-21 advantage in the fourth set to secure the match victory.

The first set was completely controlled by Wright State as the Mountaineers never led. The second was more even as the teams traded the lead back and forth with neither team ever having a true edge, until a service ace from the Raiders ended the set.

“I thought we did some nice things, but I thought we dug ourselves too many holes to overcome,” WVU coach Reed Sunahara said. “Wright State played well. We need to learn to stay aggressive, especially in close matches.”

West Virginia trailed Wright State early in the third set, 14-9, but was able to come back to tie the set at 17 apiece. WVU then went on to take a 19-18 lead, and eventually won 25-19, allowing only one more point to be scored by the Raiders.

WVU in the third set was led by Natania Levak’s three kills, Alexa Hasting’s three digs, and Kristina Jordan’s three blocks.

The Mountaineers finished the match with more kills than the Raiders, 56 to 52, more digs, 72 to 69, and more service aces, four to three. Wright State, however, finished with a higher hitting percentage, .167 compared to West Virginia’s .162. Both teams ended with eleven blocks.

WVU’s next match is set for next Thursday, at BYU in the BYU Nike Invitational.