WVU Golf ball

A WVU golf ball about to go in the hole.

On the final day of competition in the first completed tournament of the season, the West Virginia University golf team finished in eighth place at the Old Town Club Collegiate Invitational on Tuesday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

The Mountaineers shot five under in the final round, moving up two spots into eighth place to finish with a team score of 279-283-275=837 for three under on the invitational.

WVU coach Sean Covich said this competition was a brief look into what the team can do this year.

“The guys finished strong today. We had a glimpse of what we are capable of this season,” Covich said “There is a lot of golf yet to be played this year but I like the way we responded today. We need to clean up some things and get ready for our home event at Pete Dye in two weeks.”

Freshman Kurtis Grant led the way for the Mountaineers in his collegiate debut. After shooting a 69 in the first two rounds, he secured a pair of birdies and an eagle on his way to two-under-par with a 68. Grant narrowly missed a top-10 finish, tying for 12th place at four under with a 206.

Covich said Grant played “outstanding for a true freshman making his collegiate debut.”

Junior Etienne Papineau shot a final-round score of 68 to jump 14 spots for a tie for 29th with senior Max Sear. Papineau recorded a three-round score of 71-72-68=211 to finish the evet one-over-par, while Sear shot 72-69-70=211.

Sophomore Matthew Sharpstene also shot his way into the 60s for his final round. Sharpstene fired a 69 for one under in the final round after shooting a 70 and 73 on the first day of play. He tied for 35th at two over with a 54-hole total of 212.

Sophomore Mark Goetz shot 69-75-71=215 to finish five over and in a tie for 51st place.

Louisville took home top honors, shooting 30 under with an 810. The host, Wake Forest, was a stroke back in second place at 29 under (811).

WVU returns home to prepare for the 2018 Health Plan Mountaineer Invitational. The team will host the event on Oct. 8-9 at the Pete Dye Golf Club in Bridgeport, West Virginia.