Cross Country

The WVU cross country team captured the 2017 Leigh Invitational (6k) in convincing fashion.

The first four runners to cross the finish line were all Mountaineers. Senior Maggie Drazba won the race with a time of 20:58:55.

“We had a nice run today,” said WVU head coach Sean Cleary in an interview with WVUSports.com. “Abnormally cool weather for an opener allowed us to be rewarded on the stopwatch. Maggie looked very strong out front once she secured the lead. I would say she is right where she wants to be.”

Following Drazba, senior Amy Cashin captured second with a time 21:25, freshman Sarah Willis finished third (21:34) and sophomore Candace Jones came in 20 seconds behind Willis to finish fourth.

“This was a big day for Sarah Wills,” Cleary said. “This was the first race for Sarah wearing the Gold and Blue and she ran with the poise of a senior and the pride of a Morgantown native.”

Freshman Antigone Archer rounded out the score for the Mountaineers, finishing 11th with a time of 22:33.

WVU came in with an emphatic 21 team score to capture the invitational. Rutgers (53) finished second behind the Mountaineers; the host team, Leigh (62) placed third, with Delaware (87) coming in at fourth.

WVU’s dominance and familiarity of the Leigh course will come in handy come NCAA regional time, when the Mid-Atlantic Regional Championship will take place on the exact course WVU ran today.

The Mountaineers return to action next Friday when they travel to State College to compete in the Spiked Shoe Invitational at Penn State’s Blue and White course. WVU finished fourth in last year’s competition.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.