katelyn evans katie demeo wright st

Aug. 25, 2018; Katelyn Evans (left) and Katie Demeo (right) jump to block the ball from Wright State.

The West Virginia University volleyball team finished their first match of the weekend with a sweeping 3-0 victory against Western Illinois to begin the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament.

The Mountaineers (3-4) once again shows a remarkable defense during all three matches, ending with a total of 43 kills compared to the Bulldogs’ 23. Junior Katelyn Evans came in first for the team with a total of 11 kills.

Freshmen Kristin Lux and Kristina Jordan both earned time on the court, tying in second with a total of nine kills each. Lux came in first on the team with a total of 13 digs, and second on the team with a total of 10.5 points. The season is looking good for this freshman, as she earns her place on the court.

The first set was taken by the Mountaineers leading a 25-21 victory against the Bulldogs (1-7). They won three sets in a row, ending the third set with remarkable endurance leading with a 25-18 victory.

WVU ended with an unbelievable amount of team assists against Western Illinois. Finishing with a 113-96 ratio in team assists.

The Mountaineers will finish the weekend tournament with a double match up on Saturday. They will play Albany at 1 p.m., followed by a match with host Florida Gulf Coast at 7 p.m.