naomi davenport

West Virginia basketball player, Naomi Davenport, drives the basketball down the lane to score against Kansas player, Christalah Lyons.

Mountaineer senior Naomi Davenport continued her success from last game after recording her 1,000th career point against Kansas State as the guard registered a team-high 19 points against Kansas Saturday evening.

Behind Davenport’s 19 points, West Virginia secured the 75-61 triumph over Kansas to earn a spot back in the win column following a pair of consecutive losses.

The Mountaineers finished the night with four players in double figures as Davenport led the way with 19 points followed by Tynice Martin who recorded 13 points and Kari Niblack and Katrina Pardee who finished the night with 11 points apiece.

Davenport got the ball rolling early for the Mountaineers after placing the first nine points and 11 of 18 opening points on the board to help take the 18-10 Mountaineer advantage with a minute remaining before the second quarter.

The Mountaineers extended their lead in the second quarter of action going on a 16-9 run sparked by a pair of three pointers from sophomore Nia Staples and senior Pardee. West Virginia headed into halftime leading Kansas, 40-24.

Similar to the opening half, Davenport sparked the Mountaineers' effort to start things off in the second half with a trio of free throws to take the 43-24 lead. Later in the quarter, Davenport struck again as well as Pardee who delivered a three to give the Mountaineers the 21-point, 57-36 edge.

West Virginia closed out the night poorly as Kansas outscored the Mountaineers in the final quarter, 25-18. Mountaineer junior Lucky Rudd put the game away though, with a trio of free throws in the final minute to give the Mountaineers the 75-61 victory.

The Mountaineers will come home to the WVU Coliseum to close out the regular season slate in a brawl against Baylor on March 4 at 7 p.m. on FS1.