wvu bu score

The WVU volleyball team celebrated the careers of five seniors as they dropped their final home match to No. 19 Baylor, 3-1.

The loss marks the Mountaineers' (16-12, 4-10 Big 12) eighth loss against teams in the AVCA Top 25, which includes the top two teams, No. 1 Penn State and No. 2 Texas.

West Virginia led the majority of the first set thanks to a couple of early service aces by Payton Caffrey. The Lady Bears (23-5, 13-2) came back late in the set to take the win in extra serves, 27-25.

The second set followed in a similar fashion as the Mountaineers got out to an early 10-7 set lead, but Yosianna Pressley and Baylor came back late in the set once again to win it, 25-23.

West Virginia won a closely contested third set, 25-22, but the Lady Bears would not be denied down the stretch as they dominated most of the fourth set to win it 25-21 and the match 3-1.

Seniors Morgan Montgomery, Mia Swanegan, Emma Anderson, Gianna Gotterba and Taylor Cross all played their final game in the Coliseum in Sunday's loss.

"I thought we did some good things," WVU head coach Reed Sunahara said. "It's disappointing that we came up short, but I thought we improved from the last game. That's a positive. Tonight was senior night, and I thought they played well. They never gave up. They kept fighting and fighting. We won the third, and I thought we played well in the fourth. We had a couple bad breaks here and there, but you can't do that against good teams."

West Virginia will now head to the Sunflower State for their final two games starting off with a match at Kansas State on Wednesday.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).