Drazba

Maggie Drazba runs in the Penn State National Open with a 20th place finish.

The West Virginia cross country team fell short of reaching the NCAA Championships after a seventh-place finish at the Mid-Atlantic Regionals on Friday.

Seniors Maggie Drazba and Amy Cashin led the way, earning All-Region honors after finishing 18th and 19th overall, respectively.

Though the Mountaineers won’t be heading to nationals as a team, Drazba and Cashin are still in the running for individual bids. They will have to wait for the results of other regionals across the country to see if they are selected.

“While having both Amy and Maggie garner all-region awards is a tremendous accomplishment, it also comes with the gut-wrenching feeling of not quite being good enough to reach their highest goal,” said WVU head coach Sean Cleary in an interview with WVUSports.com. “When we look back on this season, we will do so with pride and emptiness.”

Freshman Bree Warren crossed the line 55th overall as the next finisher for WVU. Freshman Haley Jackson placed 58th and sophomore Olivia Hill took 64th.

Freshman Sarah Wills finished 65th and sophomore Candace Jones placed 75th.

WVU’s final team score was 214.

Penn State, who is ranked 19th, overwhelmingly captured the regional, with all five runners finishing in the top 10 for a 31-team score. Villanova (60), who is No. 9, and No. 27 Georgetown (109) rounded out the top three.

“I am very proud of the way this team has conducted itself for the entire fall,” Cleary said. “They worked very hard and had a wonderful attitude. Unfortunately, they fell short of advancing all the way to the NCAA finals”

If Drazba and Cashin are selected to the NCAA Championships, the meet will take place Saturday Nov. 18 in Louisville, Kentucky.