The West Virginia men’s basketball team was defeated by the Baylor Bears on Saturday afternoon by a final score of 82-75. The loss is WVU’s fifth straight and their eighth in the last nine games.

Despite West Virginia neutralizing Baylor’s Makai Mason — who scored 29 points in the previous matchup between the two teams — Baylor coach Scott Drew received strong performances from guards Mario Kegler and Devonte Bandoo who combined for 45 points.

On the WVU (10-17, 2-11 Big 12) side of the ball, four different players reached double-digits in scoring. A strong effort on offense allowed the Mountaineers to enter halftime with a 40-37 lead, but a WVU defensive breakdown in the second half led the Bears to take a 45-35 scoring advantage.

West Virginia was called for a technical foul with 2:01 remaining in the game for having six players on the floor. That mistake allowed Baylor (18-9, 9-5 Big 12) to take the lead and the game.

“I don’t know how many times you’re supposed to tell people they’re out of the game.” WVU head coach Bob Huggins said on the WVU IMG Postgame show. “We can’t make those kind of mistakes.”

Junior forward Lamont West led the way for the Mountaineers as he finished the afternoon with 16 points and four rebounds, while also shooting six-for-eight from the free throw line. Freshman guard Jordan McCabe contributed 14 points to West Virginia’s effort, while also adding in five rebounds and four assists.

West’s efforts from the free throw line were one of the lone bright spots as the team finished shooting 23-of-34 from the line.

“We didn’t make any free throws,” Huggins said. [If] we make free throws, we win.”

West Virginia will play their next game on Tuesday night as the TCU Horned Frogs travel to Morgantown. The 7 p.m. tipoff will be broadcast on ESPNU.

In the last matchup between the two teams, WVU was blown out in a 98-67 loss.